Monday, September 2, 2019

Not my First Cowboy



You’re not my first cowboy

You’re a handsome man who looks fine in jeans
You’re almost authentic, but your boots are too clean
Still I’m tempted to tumble, though I know where that leads
From now till the dawn, all hurry, all speed
And after your coffee you’ll be ready to go
You ain’t my first cowboy
And this ain’t my first rodeo.

You think that I’m new here, and don’t know this set
But I’ve been here before, in other towns I’ll forget
And I’ll forget this one, unless you’re the best
Not just one more who wants me who seems like the rest
Of the wannabe cowboys who don’t quite catch the flow
You’re not the best cowboy 
And this ain’t my first rodeo.

Let’s drop all this posing, all these postures and acts
And get to down to business and deal in straight facts
No that’s not right, either, it’s uncomfortable, too
I don’t have to be me, you don’t have to be you
Let’s spend this night happy then let it all go
I’ll pretend you’re a cowboy
Pretend it’s my first rodeo.
                                         
  Delia S. Gahn

No comments: